Friday, January 6, 2012

Sweater Weather: Vintage Sweaters and Other Warm Woolens

The cold weather's finally arrived in Raleigh so it's time to break out the serious cold weather gear. I found this 1950s wool varsity sweater from NC State at a local estate sale. Not perfect condition but pretty nice considering the age. Wonderful varsity letter and woven-in sleeve stripes.



On my picking travels, I acquired a few pair of Swedish Navy wool socks. These things are pretty nice. They are thick wool but are very comfortable and not itchy at all. Best of all, they come up past your calf to nearly your knee and stay up nicely. These woolens were clearly made for use on the North Sea but would be fine to wear to the office - or even to church (if offerings dried up and the heat had to be turned off in the sanctuary, for example).
Even so, some of you will scoff. Yes, I did buy pairs of USED socks. On the other hand, these socks are Swedish Navy veterans and thus have probably:
*weathered epic North Sea gales
*seen the Northern Lights reflected off of majestic glaciers
*sailed through breath-taking fjords
*been with hotter (Swedish) women than I have even seen in person
To sum it up, I'm proud of my socks but I'm jealous of their life style.

I picked some nice old long wool scarves that were knit in Switzerland many, many years ago. Pretty nice and they go great with my Swiss mittens.

I have a U.S. Navy issue (Schott?) pea coat but I also picked up this great, slimmer version from Cable Car Clothiers.
I found this vintage Italian Marine Sweater in bottle green. The knit is tight and thick like a good ski sweater from Dale of Norway and it's really comfortable.

The Junior League thrift store yielded this sweet English cashmere v-neck in ivory while I picked up the Tarheel blue Scottish Shetland cable at an estate sale.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any other mannequins in your house?

Anonymous said...

"On the other hand, these socks are Swedish Navy veterans and thus have probably..."

You don't know what Swedish seamen do in their socks when they are at sea?

Trailer Trad said...

Anon. 10:56,

It's a 19th Century French Tailor's Form and that's the only one I've got. I use it because I don't want to show my ugly mug. I'd like to buy more if you have one or two 19th Century French Tailor's Forms lying around that you aren't using.

Anon. 10:58,

Naval uniforms and other personal gear are typically cleaned by the ship's wardroom officer before they are surplused. Also, think about it. These are THICK, WOOL socks if you catch my drift.

-Wash on delicate in cold water and air dry if that's not good enough for your delicate sensibilities.

eduardo said...

Doess the Swedish Bikini Team from the 1990s beer aads endorse these socks?

eduardo said...

...Or the Swedish Chef?

Trailer Trad said...

Eduardo,

You get it. The Swedish Bikini Team is awesome but the Swedish Chef is awesomer. Dorshkiborshki, my friend.