Friday, October 28, 2011

Who IS the Ivy Man? Victorian Estate Sale Vintage Finds


It's always funny what one can find in an old, forgotten house. Shirts that had gone unnoticed for decades reappear nearly as fresh as when they were sewn in long-gone Southern mills. For example, this attic held dozens of Early 60's cotton dress shirts that the gentleman of the house, no doubt, needed on those long, hot days before air conditioning. When I went through the dusty chest that held them, I was reminded of Don Draper pulling starched white dress shirts out of a drawer to freshen up after lunch. I should have grabbed more but I only kept the two that were unused in their original packaging. -Stuff gets pretty dirty after 40 years in an attic!
This wonderful shirt fits me beautifully. It's from Abercrombie & Fitch. But this one was made in England back in the 1950s or 1960s and sold from the OLD A&F when they only had three ancient locations in New York, Chicago and San Franscisco.



I also picked up this cotton 'regulation' shirt but unfortunately its sleeves are too short. The jeans are really quite special. They are vintage Wrangler 'Blue Bell' women's jeans from the 1940s I would guess. They brought back memories because there was a Blue Bell factory near my hometown in Virginia that closed years ago.

They are wonderfully worn but are in really sturdy condition, ready to be worn. Before these could make their way to Japan, my Daughter L'il Bean discovered them and tried them on. Well, they fit her absolutely perfecty. So, as a Dad, what could I do? I gladly handed them over.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean to say that Abercrombie and FItch is nnot some ccontrived brand to serve as some sort off lame status sybol for teenagers? DOes The Situation know this?

Trailer Trad said...

Believe or not, even humble ol' Wrangler has a heritage American brand offering. In Europe, they offer AMERICAN made selvage jeans under the brand name (you guessed it) Blue Bell. -Actually looks pretty cool.

http://www.wrangler-europe.com/blue-bell/

Bucky Buford said...

You have to love a BIG WOMAN in a size 16!

Trailer Trad said...

What's crazy is that they fit Lil' Bean perfectly and I'd guess that she's a modern size 4-6.

People were a lot smaller then and egos are a LOT bigger now and manufacturers know that.