Sunday, July 1, 2012

My New Look for Junking this Summer

You don't often find thick cotton vintage khaki shorts priced right that are actually large enough for us modern day fatties. These U.S. military senior officer's shorts are circa 1950 and are in perfect condition. They are actually a little large for me. Kind of long and baggy. They almost seem more British than American, which is fine with me. I'm thinking of pairing them with my vintage Italian Navy chambray shirt and my genuine vintage cotton pith helmet for when I'm doing extended periods of serious junking in the searing Raleigh summer heat.
I said that they were large. What's funny is, I got these from an estate of a career military guy and you could see his progression from teeny, tiny WWII soldier (28-30 inch waist) through to senior officer during the 1950s. Just like all of us, he really filled out!

Think the pith helmet is a little over the top? I was scolded twice just yesterday to keep the sun off of my fair Anglo-Saxon face.
This is my Raleigh junking safari kit. What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dr. Legume, I presume...."

Anonymous said...

You should do a post on zombies.

Trailer Trad said...

Anon 5:10,

Well met, Doctor P. Onca,

-Too bad you don't speak Hovitos.

Anon. 1:56,

I knew that there was something mind altering in 'bath salts' way back when I heard the lady on the commercial say "Calgon, take me away!"

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a history of the middle age spread!