Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Recent Sporting Antique Finds


Sporting antiques are one of my favorite areas of collecting and I've found a few new additions lately. They can be hard to come by because they are so popular. But it's funny how they do pop up where you'd least expect this kind of 'guy' stuff to emerge.
I bought this great 1930s gun cleaning box at my church's rummage sale this past Saturday. Lots of practical gun cleaning stuff in the box but there was also a few good old sporting advertising pieces inside. This Colt Arms revolver box looks quite old and includes the hang tag for the weapon. I'd guess that this is from the 1920s or older.

This 1930s tin of lubricant isn't really that rare but this one is in near mint condition.

Last weekend at the flea market, an old dealer brought down a fresh load of junk from Upstate New York. Among the junk were around forty 1940's wooden Yuengling beer crates that he got at an Amish farm auction. -What the Amish were doing with those, I have no idea. Anyway, they were cool crates and people down here love Yuengling so I wasn't surprised that he sold almost every one.
-I should have picked up one or two.
This dealer also brought down some nice old oars and I snagged a few including this great old long oar. It's got great old paint and, judging by the tinwork on the end and shaped handle, it's turn-of-the-Century at latest.

This little Fall City tackle box came out of the same estate that I found those two large tackle boxes recently. It was probably his fly fishing box because it had these nice little Peck's dry flies along with the Phleuger 'Chum' spoon in its original box with papers.



 I got this folk art anchor and chain from another church rummage sale. The anchor is around 6" wide to give you an idea of the large size of this piece. All of the links as well as the anchor had to be carved out of single block of soft wood of some type. I also have another shorter set. I cannot say how old this is or where is was made. However, I suspect that is from the 1940s or 1950s and could have been picked up overseas or made by a whittling sailor to pass the time during long months at sea.
A postwar wooden cot may or not be a sporting antique but, for what I paid for it, it was worth plucking from the basement where I found it. Believe or not, once I remove the canvas stains (hopefully) and refinish the Oak slats, it will serve nicely as a bed bench or even a cottage coffee table.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://laughingsquid.com/dapper-britons-politely-protest-abercrombie-fitch/


Saw this and thought trailer trad wouldmlike it.

Trailer Trad said...

Crazy Englishmen, God bless 'em!