Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Trailer Trad Attire: Recent Clothing Scores

Like a squirrel, I've been frantically running around, gathering up for the winter. But, in my case, that means digging up classic men's clothing that will keep one warm while in the duck blind, ski slope or campus (or cubicle, grocery store or laying on the couch).


In an estate sale jewelry box, I came across some old brass cufflink chain doohickeys that I can use to convert a button (or anything with an 'eye') into a cufflink. I did this to a couple of antique overall buttons. I'll keep looking for cool old buttons to try this with.

I found the Bean and Duxbak chamoise shirts at a great yard sale. -Remember Duxbak? I don't hear much about it but it really is one of the great heritage sporting goods brands. I remember that they used to have an outlet on the Eastern Shore of Maryland next to their factory years ago. The dog tie is excellent. I assume that 'Orvis Fishing Tackle - Manchester VT' is a tag from the 1970s.















You can't have too many lambswool sweaters and this Alan Paine number has been in heavy rotation. I've written about how much I like the wider 4.25 - 4.5 inch ties from the late 60s through the late 70s and how difficult they can be to find in all silk. This navy one knots great and looks good with about anything.




Nice grab at the local Junior League-sponsored thrift store. The Turnbull & Asser shirts fit great and are perfect with a tie or used as casual shirts. I wore the blue gingham one with my cashmere Fortnum & Mason jacket to the Montpelier Races steeplechase. I was ready to tailgate! The new old stock Levis have never been washed, were made in the USA and feel like NOTHING you can get at the mall!



Man, I love this flannel shirt that I picked up at a yard sale for $1. It's from the 70s or 80s and feels like a blanket on. It's sized as a XXXL! -Fits more like a full XL, though.


















No comments: